Personal Oracle 7.3 NT - can I connect remotely???

From: <taylorkh_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/09/13

Good evening,

While I have used PO7 on and off since it was first released, I have always done so on a single stand alone PC. I am now in a situation where I will need to administer a PO7 instance remotely. The situation is as follows:

The system is an NT server with optical platter jukebox for storing engineering drawings.

The juke box control application uses PO7 to store the location of drawing files on the various platters.

As this is a critical application I realize the need for "point in time" recovery. This translates into archive log mode operation, scheduled hot & cold backups etc. (and telling the client he needs to purchase a couple of more disks for his server ;-)

Which brings me to the question of the evening...Can I connect to this instance over a network?

This is necessary to allow our OmniBack system (which backs up about 100 HPUX instances, NT servers etc) to perform the necessary functions for nightly hot backups, weekly cold backups etc. It is also necessary for me and/or our corporate DBAs to monitor the instance. If I tell them they have to drive 25 miles to the site to check the database, I will definitely not like the answer!

Back in the cobwebs of my mind I recall hearing the PO7 could be accessed only on the machine on which it was installed. Thus I had never considered it for such an application. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I think I will install Oracle & Workgroup Server and be done with it.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Taylor Received on Sat Sep 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT