HELP: ORA-01145

From: Poon Chak Yau <cy_poon_at_ctil.com>
Date: 1997/09/13

Hello,

        I got error ORA-01145 when I tried to take a datafile offline. The error message tells "offline immediate disallowed unless media recovery enabled". I had tried the suggest actions, in Server Message manual". However, the actions did not work.

	Here is a list of actions I had done in the past few days:
1.	I change the log buffer size to a larger size and then
shutdown normal and startup the database. Everything seems alright after that.
2. I "shutdown abort" a long 'DELETE TableName" operation. After startup, the content of the table is completly disappear. I took it as usual. subsequenlt operation seems ok.
3. I have to update about 10 records out of 150,000 records of the table in (2). Now, it complained cannot extend segment of a temporary tablespace. Then I tried to add another datafile to the tablespace. However, maximum datafiles exceeded. 4. To solve the problem, I want to delete one of the sample datafile of the temporart tablespace and recreate it with a larger size. ORA-01145 was given when I want to take it offline.

        Please help me for the following!?
1. What have I done wrong towards this error? 2. What should I do to bring the database back to normal, ie, I can take anything offline as I could do it before? I have not backup at all.

Regards,

Poon Chak Yau. Received on Sat Sep 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT