Re: Table Design Question: Foreign keys when child has one of two parents

From: Phil Bradley <pbradley_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1997/09/13

Tod

In my view there should be an intermediary table ADDRESSRELATIONSHIP. This is because multiple persons and or businesses can occupy the same address. Also your restriction on businesses and persons sharing the same address appears arbitrary.

Having said that, you face the same general issue of whether to use one or two columns. I would ague that two columns is semantically correct. Hence ADDRESSRELATIONSHIP has three columns address id, business id and person id, and also has its own separate unique identifier. If you want a practical reason for doing it this way, then I gaurantee much better performance

Phil Bradley, United Overseas Bank Received on Sat Sep 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT