Re: Database shutdown on NT

From: Marco Foss <mfoss_at_no_spam.sio.uio.no>
Date: 1997/09/13

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <2PoGiJA5Y6F0Mw3s_at_camk.demon.co.uk>, Andy_Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk says...
> In article <01bcbe48$77026660$b57348a6_at_russell>, _DEFAULT
> <_DEFAULT_at_prodigy.net> writes
> >You don't need to have NT call your shutdown script. The Oracle database
> >shuts down automatically when the server is powered down.
> >

> Are you sure? Is there anyway to check what mechanism does this?
>
> The Oracle support guy said that simply stopping the services on NT with
> WGS 7.3.2 does not perform a database shutdown. Isn't shutting down
> services all that NT does during a shutdown?
>
> Andy
> --

You could verify what actually happens when you stop the services by looking into your alert logfile afterwards.

I don't recall who, but someone wrote a program which will do a 'shutdown immediate' upon NT shutdown. It installs as a service and works quite well on 7.3.2.x and NT4. I use it in case someone or something (UPS) wants to down NT and is not aware of the Oracle DB's or the correct procedures.

Filename is orasafe.exe but I cannot remember the ftp site.

Hope this helps.

--
Marco
mfoss_at_no_spam.sio.uio.no