Re: How are INDEXES BALANCED?

From: Kevin Loney <kevin.loney_at_astramerck.com>
Date: 1997/09/12

> > I need to know if an index is not balanced, how do I get it balanced or
 is
> > it done automatically? For example, when I enter an order number to an
> > order entry system and the numbers are sequentially numbered, are the
> > records added to the b-tree in one straight line to the tree?
> >
> The short answer is that Oracle automatically balances an index (or so
 I've
> been told). The logic for doing so is straightforward enough that, if
 they
> didn't, you'd have to go over and slap Larry Ellison upside the head.

Then get slapping. Oracle does not automatically rebalance its indexes. If it
did, then the performance of your inserts would be unpredictable. The only way to rebalance an index is to drop and recreate it, or use the alter index
rebuild option in 7.3.

Kevin Loney. Received on Fri Sep 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT