Update remote database with trigger

From: <btruong_at_msn.com>
Date: 1997/09/12

I have an interactive application, which always connected to local database. In addition, in the local database, I have a trigger triggers on an Insert statement, calls stored procedure, processes data, then updates the remote database using a public database link. The trigger has the exception handling, among other things, it handles the situation when the remote database is not available.

Everything seems to work perfectly fine until the remote database went down and brought backup online again. The trigger continues to 'think' the remote database is still down. The linkage between local database and remote database remained broken until we stop and restart application.

The problem is that: 1) the application has nothing to do with remote database. It is a mission critical application that we don't want to interrupt. 2) we can not handle the remote database down in the application because it does not know the status of remote database.

Any information leads me to solve this problem is greatly appreciated.

Ben Van Truong
bturong_at_msn.com
(314) 939-4411 Ext. 1099