Re: Alpha OpenVMS & Oracle Req?

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/09/12

Douglas.S.Scott_at_boeing.com asked
Alpha 2100 4/275 with 2 CPUs, 768 Mb of RAM, 2 KZPSC SCSI controllers and about 50 Gb of disk space. Can anyone tell me if this Alpha will support our needs (~80 users) and if not what would? <<

The answer is at your finger tips, how is performance now! You said that production is already running with 80 users so if production is acceptable now then you have your answer. The next thing to consider concerns 1) Has the application been tunned, and how tunable is it? 2) How many more users will be added over the next six months year, two years? 3) How fast is the quanity of data growing, and are purge processes in place or possible?

Note tunnability of an application depends on things like, home grown or purchased package with or without source code, and what the application is written in, Pro*C, Forms, or Visual Basic using ODBC. Having source so hints can be added to SQL and developing in Pro*C or Forms provide a lot of tunning possibilities compared to a canned package provided as binary modules.

Good Luck with your new position. The manual read like novels, but they provide most everything you need to know. I suggest you look into a local Oracle user group.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Fri Sep 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT