Creating a database on raw disk

From: Rosemary A. Walsh <rwalsh_at_msn.com>
Date: 1997/09/12

Hi -

I am attempting to create a database on raw disk (high performance disk array) which has been configured using the Veritas tool. When I walk through orainst, I specify that the database will be on raw device. It defaults to /dev/vx/rdsk/. I modify that to the desired volume, /dev/vs/rdsk/oracle/vol03, which is one of 9 logical volumes established for me by my SA. The permissions and ownership are set correctly on the device.

CREATE DATABASE fails with

"cannot create control file '/dev/vs/rdsk/oracle/vol03/rdsrv1.cntl1' sfccf: fstat error, unable to obtain file status. SVR4 Error: 20: Not a directory"

All of which seems to indicate that it is trying to create the control file within a file system and, of course, aI gave a raw device path together with file name.

Oracle support seems to be swamped today and I have a deadline looming.

Please respond to me at

rwalsh_at_anstec-tech.com
rwalsh_at_msn.com

Thank you!!!!

Rosemary Walsh Received on Fri Sep 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT