Re: Is Oracle 'cheaper' than SQL server?

From: Jan Andersen <jan_andersen_at_nord-data-detail.dk>
Date: 1997/09/12

sjudkins_at_christyind.com wrote:

> I can get MS SQL Server with a 5 user license for $1,345. Although, to
> connect a MS SQL Server to a "web server" you must buy the "SQL Internet
> Connector" (a piece of paper!) for $2,999!!!
>
> My question is how much would it cost to run Oracle the same way (tied
> to a web server)?? I would need a 5 user license (or less). Do I need
> to buy a product similar to Microsofts "SQL Internet Connector" from
> Oracle? How is their licensing structured for "Internet Databases"?
> This seems rather more expensive than Oracle. As far as I remember, the
price for a corresponding Oracle product would be in the neighborhood of $2000. You do need something more than the database, so maybe the price would be about the same.

If you decide for Oracle, you get a product which in my experience is _extremely_ portable: when your NT gets too small, you can move things to UNIX just like that - or to any of a huge number of other platforms. Applications are about as easy too.

A neat feature: the 'Application Server' that you get in Oracle 8 allows you to access Developer 2000 forms using a Web browser! To me this means no more installations on client machines. Very nice. And it uses the CORBA standard too.

/jan Received on Fri Sep 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT