Re: How are INDEXES BALANCED?

From: Dennis Taylor <no_spam_dammit_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/09/11

Ardley Tschetter <ardley_at_interaccess.com> wrote in article <01bcbe1a$df80d240$829794cc_at_albloo>...
> I need to know if an index is not balanced, how do I get it balanced or
 is
> it done automatically? For example, when I enter an order number to an
> order entry system and the numbers are sequentially numbered, are the
> records added to the b-tree in one straight line to the tree?

The short answer is that Oracle automatically balances an index (or so I've been told). The logic for doing so is straightforward enough that, if they didn't, you'd have to go over and slap Larry Ellison upside the head.

--
---
email address is dtaylor at ipipeline dot net