Re: Migration basics

From: Donne You <dy_at_gomez.physics.lsa.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/09/11

The upgrade procedure is documented in the server migration guide. Basically, you need to,

(1) back up your database;
(2) install the software for the new release;
(3) start up the instance using the new binaries;

    **if you use the old binaries your upgrade will fail** (4) run cat71xx.sql, cat72xx.sql, and cat73xx.sql in

    $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin.
(5) run catalog.sql and catproc.sql. If you use replication

    or parallel server, you also need to run catrep.sql or     catparr.sql.
(6) back up you database again.

alternatively, you can use orainst. make sure you copy the parameter file to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs of the new release before you start orainst.

Don