Re: db_file_multiblock_read_count

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw000_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: 1997/09/10

In article <34118AE4.4F4C7477_at_mail.telepac.pt>, Nuno Martins <nunomartins_at_mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>Hello,
>if i have a db_file_multiblock_read_count = 32 then it thas not make
>sense having a index in tables with less than 64k . Is this true ?
>
>What´s are your opinion ?

The cost-based optimizer will not use an index on tables with 5 blocks or less ( rather than a constant, this may actually be related to the init parameter small_table_threshold). Beyond that, it will consider indexes even for tables that can be read with one multi-block I/O. And I have examples where that IS faster. Of course, the rule based optimizer will consider any index regardless of table size. And so does the CBO in the absence of statistics.

Wolfgang Breitling
certified Oracle DBA

email: breitliw_at_centrexcc.com

AntiSPAM: simply remove the