DBMS_PIPE, DBMS_SHARED_POOL

From: Anurag Srivastava <anurags_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/09/09

Hello,

  I need to create a centralized program that can handle data requests from a bunch of client sessions running on the same server. I was thinking of using DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP to pin this central package in SGA memory and have the other programs commmunicate with it using DBMS_PIPE. Questions/Problems:
1. What's the overhead associated with having a hundred private

    pipes permanently resident in SGA (after the pipes have been     purged)? Will it slow things down a lot? What about contention     between several PGAs trying to talk the same package? 2. When a package is pinned in SGA, I thought only its code

    segment got pinned. A new data segment will probably be     created in the PGA of every program that's accessing this     pinned package.
    Hence, it may not be possible to share the data that the     central package has gathered, which is exactly what I want     to do, viz. share the same set of data. So will my idea     work?
3. Since the limitation of a pipe's message buffer is 4096 bytes,

    how long will it take to get about 1000 messages thru the pie?

If any body has any comments/suggestions, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Anurag Srivastava
anurags_at_ix.netcom.com Received on Tue Sep 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT