Re: ORA-12203 TNS Problem

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/09/09

On Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:58:47 GMT, Heber_Ferraz_at_compuserve.com (Heber Ferraz-Leite) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm having a problem connecting to an Oracle Workgroup Server. The
>error I get is ORA-12203, which is supposedly a TNS problem. The
>server on which this happens also handles RAS connections and the
>problem only occurs after an RAS connection has been activated.
>
>What is TNS ?
>What does the error code mean ? (I have read the manual, but it says
>to look in the operating system specific part, and there is no word
>about it in any manual that came with the product).
>
>Thanks for your help.
>

>Heber
>-----
>Heber_Ferraz_at_compuserve.com
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Heber_Ferraz

The text for error message 12203 is:

12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination" // *Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.

// This error can also occur because of underlying network transport
// problems.
// *Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command
line
// was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node and
// that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct. // Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are
// up and running.

I would check that you have the listener up and running, and that the port that it is listening on isn't used by some other process. Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman                          Enabling the Information Age!
Oracle Government, Education, & Health
Bethesda, MD                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Sep 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT