Re: Help: shared mem prob, PL/SQL, WebServer

From: Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 1997/09/08

In article <5v1lkf$eve$1_at_darla.visi.com> Steve Kappel, steve.kappel_at_iname.com writes:
>Oracle 7.3.2, WebServer 2.1, Solaris 2.5.1, Ultra 2/2170 with
>128MB RAM and over 300MB free swap
>
>I'm getting intermittant errors in production indicating that
>there isn't enough shared memory available.[...]
>My shared_pool_size is set to 9000000 (supposedly a "LARGE" scenario).
>The system shared mem max is 134217728.

The "large" parameters in init.ora generally won't be large enough for an actual "large" system, especially if you're using MTS (which you should be for most things). I'd try doubling the size of the shared pool, if that can be done without pushing the system into paging. You *might* also consider pinning your largest packages immediately after database startup (supposedly less likely to be necessary with 7.3, but worth trying in cases like this).

Copyright 1997 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.