Re: v$session and unix-level processes

From: Tobias Hitzfeld <Hitzfeld_at_Schoepflin.de>
Date: 1997/09/08

--------------D673E44194BA6389D3AF0D78

Hi Brett!

I just thought about the same problem today. I suppose, that the problem is: process in v$session is the process id of the frontend-process.
The process-id you received by ps -ef is indeed the process id of the database - backend process!
Just try:

select a.username,a.sid,a.process "Frontendprocess",b.spid "Backendprocess",a.program
from v$session a,v$process b
where a.paddr=b.addr
order by spid;

So, you'll receive both, the process-ID from frontend (the remote machine) and backend (the machine, where the DB-engine is running at).

Hope this is what you've searched for...

Tobias Hitzfeld
Oracle-DBA
Hitzfeld_at_Schoepflin.de

ANOTHER question is:

    HOW TO identify DB-Connections without an existing frontend-task

                         (Win3.1/95 Clients) ???
  I've found the SQL*Net Parameter expire_time -> how does it work. Any
                             suggestions ???

Brett C wrote:

> Greetings all -
>
> We are running PeopleSoft and many entries in V$SESSION shows the the
> same value in the 'PROCESS' column.  However, a check via 'ps -ef' at
> Unix level shows a bunch of processes with information kinda like the
> following:
>
> oracleOURSIDNAME (LOCAL=NO)
>
> There are a bunch of these listed, but their associated process shown
> at
> the Unix level don't appear in V$SESSION.  Is there a way to associate
>
> these processes to the one they use in Oracle ?  I have been playing
> with
> LOGON_TIME and I think I can reasonably arrive at which process is
> which, but
> that is only a guess.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance !
>
> Brett
> zgeist.nospam_at_ee.net

--------------D673E44194BA6389D3AF0D78

<HTML>

Hi Brett!

<P>I just thought about the same problem today.
<BR>I suppose, that the problem is: process in v$session is the process
id of the frontend-process.
<BR>The process-id you received by ps -ef is indeed the process id of the
database - backend process!
<BR>Just try:

<P>select a.username,a.sid,a.process "Frontendprocess",b.spid "Backendprocess",a.program
<BR>from v$session a,v$process b
<BR>where a.paddr=b.addr
<BR>order by spid;

<P>So, you'll receive both, the process-ID from frontend (the remote machine)
and backend (the machine, where the DB-engine is running at).

<P>Hope this is what you've searched for...

<P>Tobias Hitzfeld
<BR>Oracle-DBA
<BR>Hitzfeld_at_Schoepflin.de

<P>
<HR WIDTH="100%">
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=+2>ANOTHER question is:</FONT></B>
<CENTER><B><FONT COLOR="#990000"><FONT SIZE=+1>HOW TO identify DB-Connections
without an existing frontend-task (Win3.1/95 Clients) ???</FONT></FONT></B></CENTER>

<CENTER><B><FONT COLOR="#990000"><FONT SIZE=+1>I've found the SQL*Net Parameter
expire_time -> how does it work. Any suggestions ???</FONT></FONT></B></CENTER>

<HR WIDTH="100%">

<P>Brett C wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Greetings all -

<P>We are running PeopleSoft and many entries in V$SESSION shows the the
<BR>same value in the 'PROCESS' column.&nbsp; However, a check via 'ps
-ef' at
<BR>Unix level shows a bunch of processes with information kinda like the
<BR>following:

<P>oracleOURSIDNAME (LOCAL=NO)

<P>There are a bunch of these listed, but their associated process shown
at
<BR>the Unix level don't appear in V$SESSION.&nbsp; Is there a way to associate
<BR>these processes to the one they use in Oracle ?&nbsp; I have been playing
with
<BR>LOGON_TIME and I think I can reasonably arrive at which process is
which, but
<BR>that is only a guess.

<P>Any ideas ?

<P>Thanks in advance for any assistance !

<P>Brett
<BR>zgeist.nospam_at_ee.net</BLOCKQUOTE>

&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------D673E44194BA6389D3AF0D78-- Received on Mon Sep 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT