Re: Error ORA-3113

From: Mary Travis <Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com>
Date: 1997/09/08

maite_at_robotiker.es (Maite Alvarez) wrote:

>I have some problems with a Pro*C program.
>This program is installed in a PC computer running SCO Unix v 3.0 and ORACLE
>7.0.15.

>At the beginning, the program connects to the database correctly and begins to
>select data from the DB. After some minutes, the program detects the ORA-3113
>error (end of communication channel).
>I don't use SQLNet.

>I compile and link my program in another computer with the same version of
>operating system and ORACLE. In this computer the problem don't arise.

>I would appreciate any help you could give me.

>Thank you very much.

Maite,

ORA-3113 can be a hard one to figure out as there are several causes.

A common cause is using oracle's resource profile feature to limit user idle time. Idle time is exceeded if the client does not initiate conversation with the server after a pre-specified amount of time. If your program is busy recieving data for a period of time longer than the specified idle time (and hence, NOT initiating any new requests) then Oracle will flag the connection to be killed and issue the ORA-3113 to the program at the next opportunity (which is when the progran tries to do its next database operation after the long running query ends.) Kind of dumb, but that's the way it works.

Or, it could be this: here is an excerpt from one of Oracle's 'Frequently Asked Questions' bulletins... 'Many install or relinking problems on HP systems go away by setting an environment variable LDOPTS to '-a archive' before doing a 'make'. In fact this has been seen to solve many ORA-3113 and ORA 3114 errors also.'

And finally, there have been reported bugs that will cause a program to get the 3113. For instance, using TO DATE with an invalid argument in some versions prior to 7.1.6

Hope this helps,
Mary

Mary Travis
BellSouth Telecommunications
email: Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com Received on Mon Sep 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT