Re: Oracle much slower than MS SQL Server on NT?!

From: <dasidwel_at_us.SpamMeNot.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/09/08

On 5 Sep 1997 03:25:22 GMT, lesliet_at_u.washington.edu (L. Tseng) wrote:

>I recently did a testing to see the performance difference
>between Oracle 7.3 and MS SQL 6.5.
>
>The test simply does 5000 and 10000 rows insert to a table, to my
>surprise, Oracle is 2-3 times slower and gets even slower when inserting
>more rows. This seems to contradict to Oracle's claim as the fastest
>database engine.
>
>The environment for testing is on the same NT 4.0 box. Two server were
>configured to use about same amount of memory. The results are:

Just out of interest why configure the same amount of memory for both servers? I would think that the opportunities for tuning both servers are not equal.

> insert
> 5000 recs Oracle: 2 min. 20 sec.
> MS SQL: 58 sec.
>
> 10000 recs Oracle: 4 min. 55 sec.
> MS SQL: 1 min. 42 sec.

[schema etc snipped]

Views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of my employer etc...

David Sidwell Received on Mon Sep 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT