Re: Help! Server Tuning/speed/optimization

From: Gary England <gengland_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: 1997/09/08

Saunnie McGee wrote:

> Does anyone know of some simple strategies for optimizing a database?
>
> Queries that return under 1000 records take about 1 minute. In user time
> that's way too long. We have an average of 20,000 records in the tables we
> are testing. We are using a Developer 2000 (forms 4.5) front end and the
> database is version 7.3.2.2.1.
>
> saunnie_at_gcr1.com

If a query of a 1000 row table is taking more than 3 seconds you have problems much larger than grouping rows to minimize head seek. What kind of box is running ORALCE and how much memory is allocated to the kernel? A 1000 row table is just on the edge of needing an index at all. Received on Mon Sep 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT