Re: Oracle on Linux ?

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1997/09/07

[Jos <linux_at_hamnet.demon.co.uk>]

| In answer to your question, not specifically. However you can use the
| version for SCO Unix. There are a number of things you will need to
| support this activtiy, these include things like X-windows, binaries
| from SCO. Please let me know if you require more information.

according to rumors I've heard Oracle will be ported to FreeBSD and NOT to Linux. perhaps this has something to do with the lack of support for raw devices in Linux, but that seems pretty far fetched -- as are the various conspiracy theories that Oracle was paid by Mickeysoft not to support Linux. :-)

in any event; if you can afford Oracle servers at their ridiculous prices you can also afford to buy the operating-systems Oracle runs on. wether you wish to do so or not isn't really interesting to Oracle, because if they had been able to identify the web-market and respond to it correctly we would have seen Oracle server licenses for Linux (and other UNIXen) at reasonable prices for WWW-usage.

but unfortunately Oracle chose to a) ignore Linux, b) release their own server (which pretty much sucks and nobody really uses) and c) to fail in observing the need for cheap databases to solve simple database problems in environments with many concurrent network connections.

Oracle won't be the database of choice for Internet services unless Oracle Corp. react intelligently to what is happening. they are not doing that now. their loss. we're moving to more suitable solutions, and we're taking our clients with us. Oracle is not part of a "suitable" solution for backing Internet services at this point.

-Bjørn Received on Sun Sep 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT