Need V$ Table from PL/SQL

From: Bill Canning <bill.canning_at_SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>
Date: 1997/09/06

I'm having a problem accessing Oracle v$ dynamic performance tables from inside PL/SQL (starting with v$parameter, but I also need others).

Code looks something like this (I'm logged into SQL PLUS with dba privileges)...

DECLARE

     local_name varchar2(64);
     local_value varchar2(512);
     CURSOR c1 is select name, value from sys.v$parameter;
BEGIN
     OPEN c1;
     LOOP
          FETCH c1 into local_name, local_value;
          <more stuff here>
          EXIT WHEN c1%NOTFOUND;
     END LOOP;
END;
/

I get compilation errors creating procedure 'PLS-00201: identifier 'SYS.V$PARAMETER' must be declared.

I'm new to PL/SQL. Is this something obvious I'm doing wrong or is there a restriction on PL/SQL and v$ tables. If so, is there any work around?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Canning
bill.canning_at_sandiegoca.ncr.com Received on Sat Sep 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT