Re: About SQL*NET....

From: <Paul.deAnguera_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: 1997/09/05

> Satish Narasimha <satish.muc_at_sni.de> writes:
> hello,
>
> Can anybody give me the brief introduction how to connect
> a workstation to oracle database which is on the server....
>
> I have a sun workstation having some files loaded... to test my files
> i wanted to connect from that system to oracle database which is
> on some other system... Can anybody give me the steps how to
> go about.. it.. i know that i have to make some changes in
> SQL*NET and TCP/IP... but i don't what changes has to be made.. in
> each file...
>
> Can anybody give me the info regarding the steps to go abou it...?

I don't know Sun so adjust accordingly. Here is what I would do:

  1. Start a host session on the server. Connect to the Oracle database using sqlplus in loopback mode via sql*net to confirm that the server's listener.ora and tnsnames.ora are good:

sqlplus system/password_at_connect_string

2. If that didn't work, fix listener.ora and/or tnsnames.ora until it works.

3. Find Sun's equivalent of the environment variable ORACLE_HOME. It should be the name of an existing directory on the Sun.

4. Look for a subdirectory of ORACLE_HOME named something like /network/admin . You should find a file named tnsnames.ora in this subdirectory.

5. Copy the information re: your database from the server tnsnames.ora to the client tnsnames.ora.  "What information" should be fairly obvious, you will see a series of indented sections for each database on the server. Hit the books if you need more detail.

6. You might have to reboot the Sun at this point to get sql*net to notice the new information.

7. Now you should be able to run sqlplus on the client and sign on to the server database. If that works, signons via more exotic programs can be attempted with confidence that any problems will be related to the client software, not to Oracle.

Good luck! - Paul de Anguera / City of Seattle ESD/HRIS Received on Fri Sep 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT