Re: Does the number of extents affect the performance?

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/09/05

Although I agree that in general having multiple extents does not affect performance, I still think it is important to attempt to size tables correctly as I believe for insert purposes there is an overhead in the creation of new extents.
Also unless I am deliberately trying to partition my data over more than one disk I like to see a tables blocks being contiguous within a tablespace (mainly for aesthetic reasons I'm afriad)

Ian Received on Fri Sep 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT