Re: oraenv description

From: Toomas Kiisk <vix_at_medisoft.ee>
Date: 1997/09/05

On 4 Sep 1997, Joachim Flierdl wrote:

| Hello,
|
| I'm looking for a description of the unix utility 'oraenv'.
| This is normally used to determine the right entry for the
| environment variable 'ORACLE_SID'.
| I discovered that the environment variables 'NLS_LANG' and
| 'LANG' aren't evaluated if 'oraenv' is called in '.profile'.
| Can somebody tell me, more about this behavior.
| I didn't find anything about it in the oracle documentation.

Hi

Setting up NLS stuff isn't what oraenv is supposed to do. Just write few-liner shell script, which does what you need and source it from your shell. For bash/ksh your .profile might contain a line:

. /opt/etc/oracle_environment

and /opt/etc/oracle_environment might be:

export NLS_LANG=ESTONIAN_ESTONIA.WE8ISO8859P1 export ORACLE_SID=foo
export ORAENV_ASK=NO
. oraenv
ORAENV_ASK= BTW. oraenv is shell script too. You can always read from there, what it does and/or doesn't.

vix Received on Fri Sep 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT