Re: Packages, Roles, Table Access and Security Question

From: Tomm Carr <tommcatt_at_computer.org>
Date: 1997/09/04

Brad Worsfold wrote:

> Is there a better solution out there??? I would like to be able to create
> roles, and grant access
> to the tables directly. But then the user still has privilege if granted
> a package directly???
>
> Is there a grant I can give to owner B so that other users use direct
> table privileges instead
> of the package owner's privileges??

Go to my web page listed below and dowload the user.zip and list.zip files. User.zip contains a package which will permit you to work with roles within stored procedures. Give your other users execute access to your packages and, when a procedure is about to do something only some users should be able to do, check the roles of the user. If the user lacks the proper role(s), raise an exception or yell at him or whatever you want to do.

The user package stores the roles in PL/SQL tables which is why you also need the list package.

Let me know if this helps.

--
Tomm Carr
tommcatt@computer.org -- http://www.geocities.com/athens/delphi/6769