Oracle 7.3.3 problems

From: opus <opus_at_nospam.comnet.ca>
Date: 1997/09/03

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the Oracle world and I've just installed 7.3.3 on a HP-UX 10.20 machine. It seems that not much actually works when it comes to various software that came with the package.

  1. Server Manager 2.3.3 (Motif) is constantly giving me core dumps, Oracle support says is a bug with no fix yet. Installed the previous version (2.3.2) that came with 7.3.2.2, works a little better but core dumps on Create User, Alter User, Alter Tablespace, sigh, you name it. Anyone had any success getting it working?
  2. SQL-net and SQLplus (3.3) for Window 3.1 works when you first install it, then when you reboot the PC it's on it corrupts itself. Installed old version again and it works. ???
  3. Trying out Enterprise Manager on a '95 machine, works better for database admin than Server Manager on the Unix box but still very, very buggy. Can't connect as SYSDBA, gives me a table or view doesn't exist message without telling me which one doesn't exist?! Can't use the export utility as it says the export utility for 7.3.3 isn't the same as the one it's expecting yet the docs say it's compatible, doh!

My biggest question for anyone, why bother shipping this crap when it doesn't work at all? If anyone's got some of this stuff working on an HP box then I'll gladly listen. If I don't get some patches soon, gotta go back to 7.3.2.2 (but it has bugs that prevent me from working with 3rd party tools - Modelmart).

Signed, Having trouble winning the battle Received on Wed Sep 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT