Re: Help! Server Tuning/speed/optimization

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1997/09/03

>Saunnie McGee wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of some simple strategies for optimizing a database?
>>
>> Queries that return under 1000 records take about 1 minute. In user time
>> that's way too long. We have an average of 20,000 records in the tables we
>> are testing. We are using a Developer 2000 (forms 4.5) front end and the
>> database is version 7.3.2.2.1.
>>
>> saunnie_at_gcr1.com

  1. Reduce disk head movement by putting tables and corresponding indexes on separate disks. This can be accomplished quite easily by using different tablespaces. Also put tables that are frequently joined together on separate disks.
  2. Reduce full table scans by indexing columns frequently used in where clauses.
  3. Reduce sorts by indexing columns frequently sorted. -- Chuck Hamilton Sr. DBA Keystone Mercy Health Plan chuckh_at_dvol.com

"So teach us to number our days that we may present to thee a heart of wisdom" (Psalm 90:12 NASB) Received on Wed Sep 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT