Oracle backend with Access frontend

From: Richard Zuidhof <_richard_at_enertel.nl>
Date: 1997/09/02

 We are using MS Access 7.0 to access an Oracle 7.3.2 server running on Windows NT 3.5.1 via SQL*Net 2.3 and to be honest we're having quite a few teething problems in particular with ODBC calls and performance.

We often get the Oracle error "ambiguous column names" from our ODBC interface. It would seem that ODBC driver is not building the SQL string properly or adds an unwanted ORDER BY clause at the end, but I'm not really sure. Does anyone know which ODBC driver from which supplier we should ideally use or indeed is this the actual problem? Is there a good way to track or trap the SQL being passed over to the Oracle server so that we know just what Oracle is being asked to do?

Also, we see some monstrous problems with the performance which in many cases seem to stem from the use of combining Access tables with Oracle tables. The results seem often unpredictable and vary in performance from one day to the other. Does anyone have some general pointers as to how we can trace what's happening at both sides or does anyone have tricks and tips related to using these ends?

Kind regards,

Graeme Lawton Received on Tue Sep 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT