Re: utl_file package help ?

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1997/09/02

On Tue, 02 Sep 1997 10:23:08 +0800, Terrence Wong <mingjun_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a problem.
>The utl_file.get_line procedure returns a read error when I try to
>read in a text file with one of the lines of length 1300. I think
>there is a length limit of maybe 1024 for get_line. Is that true?
>How can I solve this problem? Not a good idea to reformat my text
>file. Any help? TIA.

In the docs it says that the limit for imput line is 1022 bytes. However, when I tested it on my PO7/Win95 it turned out that the maximum alovable input line length was 1021 characters (single-byte character set). Maybe the 1022 bytes is for OSs where line is terminated by single character (LF) and 1021 for OSs with two-character line terminations (CR/LF)?

Anyway, if the limit is exceded the exception UTL_FILE.READ_ERROR is raised. So if during processing you just want to skip the oversized lines then you must handle this exception to continue processing the other lines. If this is not satisfactory I'm affraid the only solution is to preprocess your text file.

>Cheers.
>Terrence

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Sep 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT