Re: file upload to web server

From: <cnetto_at_bestway.com.br>
Date: 1997/08/30

In article <34060325.68B9_at_pinioncorp.com>,   MH <mmh_at_pinioncorp.com> wrote:

> we are trying to build a process that allows us to upload a file/img
> from a client browser to our oracle web server 3.0. you could see this
> sort of things as an attach button in most of mail web site (like
> mailexcite.com and hotmail,...). I would think that the way it would
> work is that we would have to build a cartridge (java, C) that gets the
> ip address (of the client) and the name of the file from a pl-sql
> cartridge. the C cartridge would have to include some kind of
> ftp/get, error checking,... Obviously the file would have to be inserted
> into the database using some kind of long raw image server cartridge. Am
> I right or I am totaly out of it? does anyone have any ideas on how
> exactly thing attachment/upload would work? can someone point us to a
> source where we could see such code or even an internet source or even a
> book that detail the type of coding that we need to do?
> your help is greatly appreciated.
> manuel

Hi:

You can upload a file easyly if you'r using Netscape Browser. It has uploading capabilities. There is a perl program in the NET to receive the file in your cgi-bin directory. You can use oraperl interpreter to get the file and insert into the database if OraPerl can handle with long-raws (few tools can do it for long-long fields).

If you're using Explorer, you can write a application in C++ for uploading the file. We did it, cloning the Netscape's protocol.

There is a RFC describing the protocol.

Sorry for not specifying the RFC number and other details, but it's in the Net.

Regards,

Carlos Augusto
Software Design Informatica
cnetto_at_softdes.com.br