Re: Moving large databases

From: Dennis Taylor <spammers_are_scum_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/08/29

Jonathan Hunt <jonathan.hunt_at_vf.vodafone.co.uk> wrote in article <3406F4F3.463074AE_at_vf.vodafone.co.uk>...
> Hi,
>
> We are planning to move a 80GB database from Pyramid Nile (Oracle 7.2.3)
> to a Alpha server (Oracle 7.2.3 or Oracle 7.3). We need to reduce the
> down time to a mininum during the move. I would like to know about any
> material that may dicusss such moves (I know there was a paper written
> by Churchill Insurance UK for similar size database move, But where I
> can get a copy of that paper). I would also appreciate any hints/tips
> that helps in such a big exercise.
>
> We have thought of the following options to speed up database move.
>
> 1. To do parallel (mutiple copies of exp) table exports and do parallel
> imports.
> 2. Copy tables/data using SQL* Plus copy command.
>
> Give me your comments on the above or any other option that you may
> think of.
>
> Thanking in anticipation.
>
> Bala Avula
> bala.avula_at_vf.vodafone.co.uk

How about this: Do a backup of all files, restore onto the new system, copy all your archive logs over as they are archived, have the new system in continuous rebuild (Hot Backup) mode. At some point, shutdown the old system, bring up the new system, and there you are.

--
---
Dennis Taylor