OWS 3.0 - need help with Database Authorization method

From: J. C. Kelly <jc_kelly_at_dayton.saic.com>
Date: 1997/08/28

I am evaluating OWS 3.0. (beta version 3) I want to use the database authorization method, where the OWS agent solicits a database username and password.

According to the documentation, this behavior will occur if one creates the Data Access Descriptor (DAD)without a username and password. Unfortunately, the Web-based administrator interface does not allow a DAD to be created unless a username and password are specified. So the documentation is wrong.

I have tried editing the DAD descriptor portion of the wrb.app file (which is created by the Web-based administrator interface). If I erase the username and password lines, I get a cartridge authentication error when I try to connect. If I leave the lines intact, but erase the values of username and password, I get the same error (that is: username =
password =
)

As an aside, the wrb.app is supposed to store the passwords as encrypted information, but it is, in fact, storing them as clear text that most anyone with a unix account on the OWS server could read.

ANybody have thoughts about how I can clear this problem up, or what I am doing wrongly in the setup? Received on Thu Aug 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT