Orphaned sessions

From: Shelley Alonso <shelley_at_fcicom.com>
Date: 1997/08/28

We are having a problem with orphaned oracle sessions: ORACLE 7.3.2.3 we have a Java app running in a Sun Solaris environment connecting to Oracle using JDBC. The unix process is routinely being removed with a KILL command. Oracle doesn't seem to be cleaning up the Oracle session. If you run the following select you will see a transaction in one of the rollback segments. Enterprise shows the session with that sid to be inactive. There is no text in sqltext area for the session. And it doesn't show up as a blocker, yet it seems to be blocking some processes from deleting. When we disconnect the session with Enterprise manager, the process being blocked finishes.
I believe that Oracle should be taking care of cleaning up the Oracle session when the client goes away.....has anyone seen this happen in 7.3?
Thanks,
Shelley

SELECT r.usn,
       r.name,
       s.osuser,
       s.username,
       s.sid,
       x.extents,
       x.extends,
       x.waits,
       x.shrinks,
       x.wraps
 FROM sys.v_$rollstat x,
      sys.v_$rollname r,
      sys.v_$session s,
      sys.v_$transaction t
WHERE t.addr = s.taddr (+)

  AND x.usn (+) = r.usn
  AND t.xidusn (+) = r.usn
 ORDER BY r.usn;   Received on Thu Aug 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT