Re: PL/SQL: Operating system variables???

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/08/26

In article <3401D171.437BA564_at_icepr.com>, "Michael A. Casillas" <casillas_at_icepr.com> writes
>I know how to pass variables INTO PL/SQL using the &1, &2 arguments, but
>how would I pass variables from PL/SQL OUT to the script??

under unix, a child process cannot pass environment variables to its parent.
One way might be to use to file io features of PL/SQL to write values to temp files and then assign them to variables in your script via a command like x=`cat varfile1`. However, I have never needed to do this and find it an odd requirement. Its also a pretty naff solution to an unknown problem.
Knowing little about what you are trying to achieve, it sounds like a PRO*C solution to me. A PRO*C program can do anything your shell script can and also has access to the database tables etc.
Steve

--
"The floggings will continue until morale improves."