Re: Package question.

From: Jeffrey Rex Manthei <jmanthei_at_itis.com>
Date: 1997/08/25

Stephen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a question about package.
> How to list the content of the package? When I type "select * from
> dba_object_size", it can show the package and its owner. But how can I
> know the content of the particular package?
>
> Moreover, is the package can be used by its owner? If so, how can grant
> the privilege to other users?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

Look at user_source, all_source, dba_source for package definitions. Look at all_catalog, catalog and dictionary views to get a handle on all the internal objects (tables, etc.) where you can find the info. that your looking for.

You grant privis to packages like you would other objects. When the user runs the package, the package is ran with the privileges of the owner who created it (i.e. if the owner/creator of the package has insert/update/delete privis on a Table A, eventhough the user that is executing the package does not have these explicit table privis, as long as the user has privis to execute the package, he/she then inherits through the package, the rights to insert/update/delete Table A from the owner/creator of the package).

Rex

p.s. If you're learning packages, I would reccommend Steven Feuerstein's books on PL/SQL from O'Reily press as well as Oracle's books on PL/SQL. Also, check out www.revealnet.com and the PL/SQL pipeline for a PL/SQL specific forum. Received on Mon Aug 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT