Re: BackTrack experiences

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1997/08/22

Kent Siemers wrote:

> I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with DataTools' SQL
> BackTrack to do hot backups. If you are using this product now, I would like
> to hear from you. We are thinking about buying this product, and we do not
> have the resources to do a full-blown trial/field-test.
>
> Please send e-mail to kjs_at_umich.edu.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kent Siemers
> Oracle DBA
> Data Systems Center, The University of Michigan

I have used it extensively. Works very well for backup. The guided recovery
works fairly well but lacks a few features of more complicated recoveries. Like
recovering a new datafile that has not been backed up yet (yes you can do this
if you are in archive mode and have all the logs, and know the original datafile size). The support people try to be helpful but seam to lack real
world knowledge of the product and Oracle. Hence, you are more likely to
resolve the issue you have, or create a work around, before they do. The
documentation is very plain/vanilla and doesn’t go into real world recovery
examples and customizations.

We have purchased around 12 licenses for databases ranging in size from 1g to 50g
and will be purchasing more in the next year. The largest recovery we have
performed with DataTools was around 50g.

Would I recommend it? Would I buy it again?....yes

Brian Received on Fri Aug 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT