Re: Patrol vs Enterprise Manager

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_saturn.planet.net>
Date: 1997/08/21

I have used Patrol and EM. They are good at different things. Enterprise Manager is useful for quick snapshots of an instance, cloning databases, moving objects around for the command-line-impaired, things like that. I don't think much of the peroformance expert tool, but it is immature; in a year or two it might be useful.

Patrol's strength is monitoring and automatically correcting problems. It is easily extended to monitor applications as well as database software, operating systems, network issues, etc.

The two are complementary, IMHO; since EM is free why is there an issue? In any case, don't get into a features war with the Patrol guys, you will lose.

Regards,
jh

Michael Alan Kline, Sr. (mkline_at_dbsol.com) wrote:
: On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 12:02:46 -0400, "David Sivick"
: <dsivick_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

: > I am a contractor and I am a big fan of Enterprise manager, and I am trying
: >to convince the company to use it instead of Patrol. They are a few people
: >there that are really pushing back because the use Patrol on DB2 and argue
: >that since patrol can used on both Oracle and DB2 they should stick with
: >that. I argue that if you can do everything and more with Enterprise
: >Manager and the thing comes free with your Oracle Server license we should
: >use it.
: >
: I could recomend TPM97. Check out www.dbsol.com. It supports Oracle,
: Sybase, SqlServer and we're working on informix.

: Michael Alan Kline, Sr.
: 800-933-7668 ext. 117
: mkline_at_dbsol.com
: www.dbsol.com

--
Jared Hecker - CODBA      |  ** HWA, Inc. **   Oracle and Sybase
jared_at_hwai.com            |    database architecture and administration