Re: newbie question: name change

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1997/08/21

infowerk_at_best.com (infowerk) wrote:

> Hi! How do I change the internal name of a database?
>Say yesterday the database was called "nformi" and today
>I need to have the SID and name of the database be "orac1".
>

>I think there was a procedure to do this, which avoided potential
>corruptions like confusing the datafiles and controlfiles etc.
>Anyone have it?
>

>Appreciate it a lot.
>

>thanks in advance....

Unless I'm mistaken you have to recreate the database. You could try recreating the control files with the correct name and changing the db_name parameter, but I think the name is also stored in each data file. If it is, then the instance won't start up for you.

The safest thing to do is a full export, delete the databse, recreate it, and re-import it.

--
Chuck Hamilton
Sr. DBA

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to continue.