Re: Archiving to Tape

From: Nguyen Nguyen <ndnguyen_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/08/20

In article <19970819210000.RAA08079_at_ladder01.news.aol.com>, satarnag_at_aol.com (SatarNag) wrote:
>When Archiving to tape (in UNIX)do I...
>1) set the parameter in the init<sid>.ora file to 'dev/rmt/0'?
>and if I archive to tape...
>2) How do I determine how much space is left on the tape?
>I do not want to get a call at 2 in the morning because Oracle
>couldn't write to tape cause the tape was full.
>
>Thank you in Advance,
>Satar Naghshineh
>SatarNag_at_aol.com

Hi SatarNag,

My recommendation is not to write archived logs directly to tapes. It is not very flexible. Disk drives are very cheap now. Buy some disks and write the archived logs onto disk first. Then write them to tape. That way you also have a the most current archived logs online. And if you need to use them, you don't have to go to tapes. If you don't have them online, depending on what type of tape drive you have, it can take hours to get the archived logs off the tape. That means you could be down for hours.

At our site, I keep about 2 weeks worth of archived logs online. And I write a script to check on the consecutiveness of the logs and the availability of the disk space. Once the disk is about 80% full, I write the Oldest logs off to tape.

I hope that helps!

Nguyen Nguyen

Oracle Financials/DBA Received on Wed Aug 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT