Re: New Database

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/08/20

Hazem Ameen <HazemAmeen_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in article <33EBA661.3457_at_worldnet.att.net>...
> How can create a new database in PO7. it not exactly like access where
> my background is.

Not that easy. I've tried to create one from scratch but could not get it to work. It password protects the internal account and I've got no idea how to get into server manager to startup the new database instance. I then installed the starter database and modified it by dropping and creating new tablespaces, rollbacks etc.

In theory creating a database on PO7 should be similar to UNIX and NT. You create a new INITsid.ORA file for your database (make a copy of the default INITORCL.ORA in \ORAWIN95\DATABASE). On NT you'll have to run ORADIMvv.EXE to create an instance too, but I think that's particular to NT only.

Start server manager and open the database without mounting it, pointing the pfile parameter to your INITsid.ORA file. Create your tablespaces (system, temp, rollbacks etc.). Do a shutdown and start it up mounting the database. Finally configure your listener for the new database.

Just remember that PO7 is a fully fledge relational database system - and it works almost exactly as Oracle for UNIX and NT. It's not an end-user easy-to-use no-intelligence-required file-based database like dBASE or Access. <big grin>

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Aug 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT