Re: "Extended Stored Procedures" in Oracle?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/18

On 18 Aug 1997 07:57:47 GMT, "Timo Feickert" <Feickert_at_prompt.de> wrote:

>hello world,
>
>in MS-sqlserver there is the concept of "extended stored procedures", i.e.
>user-written dll's that can be called like any stored procedure provided
>with sql-server.
>
>Can anyone point me to a direction whether something similar is offered
>with Oracle (server running on NT)?
>
>thanks in advance

Yes, Oracle8 supports the concept of an external procedure or "Call Out". This allows for a stored procedure to be written in some other language (other then PL/SQL). This external procedure is an extension of the transaction it was called from, if the external procedure does DML and the original proceudre rolls back -- the external procedures work is rolled back as well. This is known as a "Call Back" (call back to the database).

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Aug 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT