FYI: MAXDATAFILES = OS Specific

From: SatarNag <satarnag_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/08/18

18-AUG-1997 Hi everyone, last week I read a posting in which someone stated that thier Database files were maxed out (in this case, he reached his limit of 32 database files). A few of you replied that he could change the DB_FILES parameter to increase the value. According to "Oracle Worldwide Support Frequently Asked Questions" (which are found on page 3-91 of the Oracle 7:Database Administration
volume 1- Student Guide), It states:

Q: Why is there a limit on MAXDATAFILES? A: Each platform uses a port-specific number of bits to store the Oracle file numbers. Thus, MAXDATAFILES is limited by this number. To find the number, look in your operating system documentation.

Q: Why would one set DB_FILES to anything less than MAXDATAFILES? A: Increasing the value of DB_FILES increases the size of the PGA, which is allocated for every process connected to Oracle.

My question to any of you is:
 How many DataFiles can I have on a UNIX system V platform (Sun SPARQ2/Sun OS 2.5.1) (Oracle 7.2.2)?

I've looked in all my documentation, but failed to find the answer.

Much Thanks,
Satar Naghshineh
SatarNag_at_aol.com Received on Mon Aug 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT