Re: Confusion regarding extents and AUTOEXTEND

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/08/18

>> Also, when I try to specify the extents for an index, I get an error
saying Unable to specify initial extent. Can someone please help out? <<

I believe you are getting an error because the initial extents size you are requesting in your create index statement is larger than the largest available free extent in the tablespace. You can check this with the following query: select * from sys.dba_free_space where tablespace_name = 'the_index_tablespace' order by file_id, block_id;

Adjust your initial extent size. You can map a tablespace to see how everything is layed out (allocated) by doing a 'union' on the above with a select of the equivilent columns from sys.dba_extents for the same tablespace. You may need to defrag the entire tablespace or just rebuild or relocate a couple of other indexes to create the space you need.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Mon Aug 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT