Re: Oracle7.3/NT vs. SQL Server6.5 perf?

From: Steve Graham <sjgraham_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/08/16

Mike Irene wrote:

> Can anyone comment on the relative performance of Oracle7.3/NT versus
> SQL
> Server 6.5? We're running a single user ODBC application (via Simba
> drivers) to import data into the DB (we can't use SQL*Loader for our
> requirements). After monitoring/tuning key statistics and parameters
> for
> the Oracle instance, the performance lags behind SQL Server by an
> order of
> magnitude (5x slower). We've also factored out the ODBC drivers out of
> the
> equation by sending specific SQL statements through SQL*Plus and
> I/SQL,
> respectively. Hardware config for Oracle is a ALR Quad with 512MB
> RAM.
> SQL Server is a lower end box.
>
> We're running Workgroup Server instead of Enterprise Server. From
> what
> we've discovered, Workgroup doesn't support the parallel query
> option. Any
> other performance related differences b/w Workgroup and Enterprise.
> NT vs.
> Unix?
>
> Thanks in advance!

In my years working with Oracle database products, I've found that Oracle is EXTREMELY sensitive to proper I/O configuration. In some cases where NT based Oracle systems were set up improperly, I've even seen Microsoft Access blow away Oracle NT performance. I would be even more concerned on an NT system about I/O configuration issues, as in my experience it doesn't stack up with Unix in that regard yet. My suggestion would be to check out some of the new Oracle performance tuning books available currently (O'Reilly has a good one), and really get familiar with how best to set up an Oracle configuration for your particular case...most Oracle performance problems I've seen have been caused by 1: Poorly written sql, and 2: bad I/O configurations & file distribution.

Good luck,

steve Received on Sat Aug 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT