Re: Standby database with Oracle 7.3

From: Martin J. Malley <mmalley_at_radiks.net>
Date: 1997/08/16

> with the release 7.3 of Oracle, the feature of a standby database
> was introduced.
> This means, you have a "productive" instance on one host, a second
> "standby" instance on another host. The standby DB is in the
> state of "permanent" recovery, as it gets all archive-logs from the
> productive instance. When the primary system fails, all you have to do
> is: get the last online-redolog, recover the standby system, alter the
> database open, and you're up and running again.
> That's the theory.
> Has anyone experience in: setting up/maintaining/using this feature ?
> Seems that not too many companies know about this theme..

We have been using this same scheme with Oracle 7.2.3 for quite some time. What 7.3 has added is explicit support for standby control files and replication of more things via the archive logs. We are in the process of rolling out 7.3 on our first system using this "hot standby".

The things that can bite you are space management (adding datafiles, etc) on the primary side without explicitly doing the same thing on the secondary side. You are on your own to write the scripts necessary to move archive logs from one machine to the other, although the 7.3 edition of the Oracle Press Backup and Recovery Handbook provides excellent examples and discussion. Received on Sat Aug 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT