Re: Patrol vs Enterprise Manager

From: Michael Santoianni <msanto_at_duke.edu>
Date: 1997/08/15

"David Sivick" <dsivick_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

> I am a contractor and I am a big fan of Enterprise manager, and I am trying
>to convince the company to use it instead of Patrol. They are a few people
>there that are really pushing back because the use Patrol on DB2 and argue
>that since patrol can used on both Oracle and DB2 they should stick with
>that. I argue that if you can do everything and more with Enterprise
>Manager and the thing comes free with your Oracle Server license we should
>use it.
>
>Anyone out there have arguments for or against either.
>
>Any comment on SQLBactrack vs Oracle Enterprise Backup would be helpful too!
>
>Thanks,
>David

The best parts of OEM are the individual management components (i.e. Schema, Security, Storage, etc). They are useful in providing an easy to use GUI interface to do typical DBA command line operations like adding a new user or datafile. They do not overlap the functionality of Patrol which is, as you should know if you've seen Patrol, to monitor the status of various components of your server(s) & database(s).

The bulk of the monitoring piece of OEM is not free. The Performance Pack is sold on a per database user basis (not DBA user) and for us is more expensive than Patrol. Without Perf. Pack, this part of OEM is not worth the headache of installing it since it will only monitor whether a server or database is up or down.

We have every intention of using the OEM individual management pieces but have recommended Patrol for our monitoring tool after evaluating both OEM and Patrol.

Michael Santoianni
Database Administrator
Duke University
msanto_at_duke.edu Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT