Datawarehouse Backup

From: Murali Kazhipurath <murali_at_jps.net>
Date: 1997/08/15

I am in the process of setting up an Information Data Warehouse under Oracle 7.3 At present I am working on setting up the procedure for backup and recovery. It is a 10 GB database with about 11 subject areas containing 63 tables. Data loads happen daily, weekly and monthly.

I would like to hear from other DBA's the different strategies they have employed for backup and recovery in a datawarehouse environment. Some of the questions I have are:

  1. What is the most practical method - Hot backup, Cold backup? Currently we have a 4 Hr window every week for downtime. But customers prefer 24x7 uptime.
  2. If we decide to do Hot backups after making all Application TableSpaces Read Only, should ARCHIVING be still turned on? If not, what steps should we follow to bring the database back to point in time (before making it Read Only).

ALso, please include your other experiences and suggestions.

Thanks,

Murali Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT