Re: Bitmap Indexes and Oracle 8

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:07:34 -0700, "Ian C. Sellers" <"ian"@mystical.net (temporarily out-of-order)> wrote:

>AFAIK, parallel query 'option' is now the parallel query 'feature' -- no
>longer called an 'option' because you don't have to pay for it anymore.
>It's included with the DB purchase.

This is correct, in 7.3.x and up, PQO is in the base product, just like the Procedural Option.

For example, my sql*plus banner has:

Connected to:
Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.3.0.0 - Production Release With the distributed, replication, and parallel query options PL/SQL Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production

None of which are extra cost options with 7.3 (but are optional components that may or may not be installed with the database).

>Andreas Hess wrote:
>
>> The bitmap saga continues...
>>
>> Having established that the parallel query option has to
>> be installed before bitmap indexes can be created (version 7.2 +),
>> I am curious whether Oracle 8 includes the bitmap functionality
>> in the server module or whether the parallel option still has to
>> be purchased (a bit expensive just for bitmap indexes)...
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andreas

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT