Re: SQL-Net installation on client workstation ?

From: TurkBear <jvgreco_at_nospamprimenet.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

"Anbazhagan.G" <anbu1_at_mbox3.singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>I would suggest the following :
>1.Install SQL*Net in one PC and make sure it works.
>2. Now move or copy all the files to a network drive directory .
>3. Map this directory/drive to some particular drive ( say P: )
>4. For all the PCs include this drive/directory in the PATH .
>5. You will have to modify the autoexec.bat to point to P:/ instead of the
>original drive .
>6. You have make some entries in the registry and update the autoexec.bat
>in all the PCs.
>
>You can make this script part of network login itself if the users are
>doing a network login.
>
>I am planning to do the same nextweek . May be I can tell you more next
>week.
>
>Regards
>Anbu
>
>Michael McCloskey <maxmcclo_at_earthlink.net> wrote in article
><33F12A64.3BDB_at_earthlink.net>...
>> Does anybody know how to install SQL-Net on a client workstation
>> without installing from the CD-ROM.
>>
>> I have potentially hundreds of client machines that need to communicate
>> to an Oracle database through SQL-Net. I am trying to build an automatic
>> installation that can be downloaded and run on the client machine i.e
>> some sort of remote installation.
>>
>> I have tried narrowing down the relevant oracle files to a minimum, I
>> have the tnsnames.ora file, I am working on getting the registry entries
>> .
>>
>> Has anyone tried this before, you could save me a lot of time.
>> thanks in advance.

The method described above will work on Win3.1 systems but not on Win95 or NT - The registry entries are too numerous to effeciently do manually and, at least on NT, the win.ini and Oracle.ini files are not read. I have found that for 95 and NT the only sure way to get the 32bit SqlNet to work is by installing from the CD-ROM ( or a replica copied to a network directory ).. The 16bit SqlNet can work under win95 but not very well for 32bit apps.

John Greco Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT