Re: Oracle ODBC

From: Thomas <thomasl_at_netcom.ca>
Date: 1997/08/15

Matthias Gresz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. first you've to install the SQL-Net client including ODBC for windows
> NT.
> 2.Then you've got to set up SQL-Net. Use SQL-NetEasy for this task. It's
> very easy to configure.
> 2.a.You have to choose a name (Connect String) 'ora_sparc' f.e.
> 2.b.then the protocol (TCP/IP) and
> 2.c.then you've got to fill in the name of your server or it's
> IP-number. Thus you created a connect string.
> 3. Next Step is to administor ODBC.
> 3.a. Choose ODBC-Administrator out of the 'Oracle for windows NT'-group.
> 3.b. Type in an ODBC-Alias ('Data Source Name') for Oracle-Connection.
> This name will be used f.e. by Acces to connect to Oracle.
> 3.c. Fill in the SQL*net Connect-String you setup in 2.a. and all your
> work is done.
> --
> Regards
>
> M.Gresz :-)

I got similar problem in making ODBC with in NT 4.0 ORACLE but with the following configuration

Oracle Server 7.3.2.2.0

SQL*Net Client 2.3.2.1.4
SQL*Net Server 2.3.2.1.4
Oracle ODBC Driver 1.15.3.1.0A

I used ORACLE 32-bit Administrator to configure a System DSN with the following parameters

Data Source Name : gsdb2
Description : gsdb2
SQL*Net Connect String : t:abi_168:ORCL

In the connect string, T: is for TCP/IP protocol, abi_168 is the host name of the NT machine. The machine is standalone without networking. The ORCL is the default ORACLE SID database name.

I checked the Services in Control Panel, Oracle was up. I can use SQL*PLUS to do all DDL and DML for the gsdb2 account inside ORCL.

I used Oracle "32-bit ODBC TEST" program to test but got the following errors. If I try FoxPro, Access database everything fine.

SQLSTATE: 08003
Native Error Code:0
Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open.

SQLSTATE: 01000
Native Error Code:0
Driver Message:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver returned invalid (or failed to return)
SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER: %s

SQLSTATE: S1000
Native Error Code:3121
Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed.

In access, using ODBC link got this error

[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open. (#0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver returned invalid (or failed to return) SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER:%s (#0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed (#0) [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed. (#3121)

Do you know how I can make the ODBC works?

Thanks in advanced. Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT